Monday, June 14, 2010

Why Write?

I have been thinking about writing a weight loss blog for awhile, there's only one problem: Whenever I'm away from the computer, I can think of a ton of things I want to say. But whenever, I actually sit down to write it, my mind goes blank. I suppose this is the curse of most writers. I do consider myself a writer, and this blog is partly a means of getting back into writing, and partly a way for me to tell my story. For those who don't know, I haven't always been the size I am now. In 2003, when I graduated from Carleton University, I had reached an astounding 193 lbs. I now weight 137 lbs (and PROUD of it!). This blog is a way for me to put my weight loss story - every thought, obsession, idea, tip, etc. - into words. It helps me to wrap my head around the unbelievable journey I've been and to understand where I came from and who I am today.

I say obsession because that's what I feel my weight has become. My body image is the most important thing in my life besides my family and friends. Some may see this as an unhealthy obsession but I have come to accept it (and not easily so). For many days and nights, I'd have the constant battle in my head between "being careful" and "becoming obsessed". So many people who have battled their weight have faced this conflict. I have come to realize there's not really a happy medium - you either accept your new obsession or you don't. The reason I have learned to accept it is simple: I am now healthier, stronger, happier, and more confident than I have ever been in my life. Perhaps to some it's sad that my body image has such a huge impact on my life, but for me, there's no beating around the bush. It does and that's okay... in fact, lately I'm finding it rather kind of fabulous!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog hon! I am looking forward to your next post. Being as close as we are I feel I know a lot about you, but this takes me a little deeper.It's really cool to see inside a little bit. xo

    ReplyDelete