Friday, June 18, 2010

My Biggest Fear: Gaining it All Back

While approaching your goal is terribly thrilling and exciting, it can also be petrifying. Before, I never believed that I could be small. I was convinced that I was a "big" girl. Big-boned, heavy-set, bigger... whatever you want to call it, I was convinced that that was my body type. I didn't think I'd ever be "skinny". I was destined to be a bit on the chunky side my whole life. I thought that even if I got down to my goal, I wouldn't be able to stay there. I was also worried that I'd be one of those people who felt like I had found "the cure" once I reached my goal weight. These are those people who feel like their weight problem is solved once they are the size they desire to be. Since they feel like they are "done" their diet, they gradually go back to old ways and eventually gain all the weight back - and often times more. I was convinced not to feel like I had been "cured" (although I will admit it's sometimes hard). There's always the fleeting thought "Oh, I can have that now, I'm skinny. One piece of cake won't hurt!" While it's true that once piece of cake won't hurt, it's not true that I have found the cure. My weight will always be an issue for me. I know that if I go back to any of my old habits, the weight will creep back on. I will always be one of those people who has to be very conscious of my eating habits and activity levels, and I'm now okay with that. I haven't always been okay with it though. The thought that this struggle would never truly be over, was often times extremely frustrating and discouraging for me. Fortunatley, over time, I have been able to accept it. Also, seeing the results of my new healthy, fit body is also very motivating. In fact, it's probably what motivates me most now, which will help me as I learn to maintain my healthy body weight/lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment