Tuesday, June 15, 2010

B-Cup and Skinny Jeans!

Writing my last post about dressing rooms, reminded me of my experience last summer when I went shopping for new bras. Most people know that when you gain weight, you also gain a chest. That was certainly the deal for me. At my biggest (193 lbs), I wore a 38D. Naturally, as I lost weight, I also lost my chest! To some women, this isn't exciting, but for me it most definitley was! I could finally fit into bras that were "pretty" and patterned and cute! I could wear the bras with the skinny straps, as I no longer needed the big, ugly, thick straps to keep my "girls" in place!

When I was in Toronto last summer, I ventured into La Senza to get some new bras. My boyfriend, Brad, had been bugging me for sometime, claiming my bras were too big. "You're definitley a B-cup," he'd tell me. But being as stubborn as I am, I'd argue with him. After all, I'd never worn a B-cup in my life! I don't even remember wearing one when I was first growing a chest! It seemed I had worn a D-cup forever. Sure enough, that day, when we ventured into La Senza Brad continued to insist that I try on B-cup bras. So I did. And I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! A bra had never fit better in my life!!! To me, this was incredibly exciting! I loved the way my boobs fit into my new "pretty" bras! Brad teased me and started calling me B-cup but I'd just laugh. That day, I bought bras in 36B. Since then (and since losing inches thanks to vigorous workouts), I've had to go back and buy new ones in a 34B. I remember when I worked at The Bay being VERY aware that the larger women wore D-cups and that the small, "cute" girls wore B-cups. Maybe that is why I am so proud of my new nickname: "B-cup"!

Like bras (and bathing suits), jeans can be very difficult for women to buy. I have had many horrible experiences buying jeans (and all sorts of pants). Trying on jeans would just make me feel depressed and disgusted with myself. Then, skinny jeans came into style. I'd see all kinds of "skinny" girls with their "skinny" jeans and cute flats and I'd admire the way they looked. But I knew I could never wear those kind of jeans. Stacey and Clinton (from TLC's What Not To Wear, incase you didn't know!) had informed me of that. "Big" girls can't wear skinny jeans. So, therefore, the day I bought my first pair of skinny jeans was another significant experience for me. I bought them at Eclipse with my friend Glenna and I was ecstatic when they fit! Soon after, I bought another pair AND a pair of knee-high boots to wear over them! I still can not describe the exhiliration of being able to wear what I want and to be able to wear all the current styles. It makes all the hard work of losing weight so rewarding and worthwhile!

1 comment:

  1. My Darling Daughter...Your weight loss success is absolutely amazing, but more importantly it has not changed the person who you are. You have always been beautiful, funny, considerate, kind,and very intelligent!! We have always loved and will forever love the true peson who you are. I am grateful however that you have taken a keen interest in keeping your body healthy, this will keep you young and youthful for many years to come. One more thing Sweetie, you have so many of your Grandma's qualities ...she also was a beautiful person and an amazing cook, which you too have become. Also Grandma is always watching us from Heaven and I know she would be very proud of you...Love You Forever, Mom XOXO

    ReplyDelete