Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Finding Motivation

Being motivated is a huge part of weight loss. Of course, it's easy when you first start out on a new plan (and there are a lot of different plans out there!) Becoming motivated was easy for me when I first joined Weight Watchers. I had something new to be excited about and was anxious to see the results. It was fun learning about plan and seeing how I could adapt it to my life. But as the months (and years) went on, just having Weight Watchers wasn't enough motivation for me. By the time you can calculate the points of foods in your head, your motivation can start to slide. So for me, finding new motivations is key in maintaining my weight loss.

Where do I find these motivations?

Finding a plan that you love and that works for you is the first step. Of course for me, the plan was Weight Watchers. What I love about Weight Watchers is that they truly teach you that "everything in moderation" theory. You don't have to "cut" any foods over night (or at all) and you learn to replace your favourite foods with better choices (but just as much satisfaction!) Before you know it, you don't even realize that you aren't eating some of your old fall-backs (for me, chicken fingers, nachos). Weight Watchers is also big on portion control. I had no idea how much I was eating before! I nearly always had seconds at dinner, and now I rarely do. At first, the portions may seem small, but for me, it was very easy to get used to (and if I can cut back my portions, anyone can!) In my opinion, finding a plan is very important. There are some people who can change their eating habits on their own. But having a plan with all the steps laid out for you makes it a lot easier to stick to and motivates you intensely!

While I'm on the topic of Weight Watchers (sorry but it's become such a huge part of my life!) let me say that you can find new motivations within the program. For instance, for the first 10 weeks that you attend meetings, you're given a little booklet with recipe and exercise ideas and other tips and motivators. Weight Watchers also hands out little rewards for reaching mini-goals like 5lb. weight loss, 10% weight loss, etc. Sometimes just sitting and chatting with other people and hearing their ideas and thoughts can be motivating too! And of course, when you step on that scale and see the number go down - well, there's not a lot that's more motivating than that!

That being said, personally I had to find other forums of motivation as well. As I progressed and gradually became more active, challenging my body with physical activity became a huge motivator. I started off with walking. I'd make little goals like "I'm going to walk five days this week" (my walks were about 5km each). Eventually I joined a gym where different fitness classes were offered. I tried a lot of different classes (zumba, spin, yoga, sculpting, step, P90X, kickboxing, etc.) Of course these weren't all for me. I'm not a huge fan of spin class (too boring), or yoga (too spiritual). But I love kickboxing (great for getting out aggression after a hard day at work!) and P90X (which is a series of interval training) toned and changed my body more than any other fitness class ever had! Once I had mastered some of these classes (and admittedly, some of them were starting to get a tad boring) I'd try to change it up again. While I still go to some classes at my gym (still love P90X!), I also decided to try a new sport: soccer. I joined soccer because I knew there was a lot of running involved and running is something I am not good at. I am slowly learning the rules of the game and my running has definitley improved! The best part though, is that I have discovered a new form of exercise that's fun and does not feel like working out! Finally, and most recently, I have taken my workouts up a notch and am doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred videos. They are short, but intense and hardcore! Today will be workout #17 and I am motivated to see if the video's "claims" are true (I measured before starting the "Shred" and will report on the differenecs at Day 30!) All in all, constantly challenging your body and increasing your activity levels can be very motivating. It won't be easy at first. You have to find something that you enjoy, and that you don't dread too much. You have to stick to it, and once you start seeing the results, trust me: your motivation will soar!

Seeing Results!

For me, seeing the changes in my body has been, by far, the biggest motivator. I will admit that this came slowly. I did months of days at the gym and working out before I really started to see significant changes. Of course, I was seeing the numbers on the scale going down and I was fitting into smaller sized clothing. And I could see changes like my body was overall smaller. But for me, it really did take quite a while to see true, physical results. I guess the reason I say this is that because recently, I am starting to see huge changes in my body. Not only am I thin now (wow!), but I am seeing clear muscle definition in my arms, legs, and abs. One day, my boyfriend Brad even said to me "You know, I am starting to see the beginning of your six-pack". I was like WHAT?! I have a six-pack?! But he is right. Muslce definition is so exciting and so motivating! Become strong is now just as important for me as becoming thin. Plus, msucle gives your body shape and curve (in a good way!) I am now motivated to shed body fat and gain lean, strong muscle. Don't worry, I have no intention of becoming a "body builder" (personally, I don't find those types of bodies attractive on men or women). But I am less focussed on the number on the scale, and more focussed on making my body lean, strong, fit and healthy which should be any person's ultimate body weight goal! Yes, it may take a while (you can't see the muscle when all that fat is laying on top of it!) but eventually seeing your body getting stronger and leaner will be the ultimate motivation!

More Motivations

Of course, seeing the results takes a while, and you will need motivation along the way. What motivated me, may not motivate you but it might help you think of things in a new way, and help you to find that motivation you are looking for. Another warning, some of my motivations may make absolutely no sense - but whatever works, works! Here we go:

1. Websites: there are a million websites out there that can get you feeling motivated. Here are some that I have checked out (in order from favourite to least fave)
--- www.weightwatchers.ca
--- www. weightwatchers. com
--- www.hungrygirl.com
--- www.rachaelray.com
--- www.sparkpeople.com
--- Jillian Michaels (not sure the address, just google it!)

All of these websites feature message boards, recipes, food ideas, exercise information, etc. Sometimes something as simple as discovering a new website was very motivational for me!

2. Recipes: Finding new healthy, low-cal recipes can be very motivating! Again, I usually go to the interet although I have purchased a few good cook books too. Here are some more good websites:

--- www.weightwatchers.com or www.weightwatchers.ca
--- www.hungrygirl.com
--- www. rachaelray.com
--- Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada (google it!)
--- or just google "healthy", "low-cal" recipes
--- ask friends to share healthy recipes with you!

3. TV shows: Here are some of the tv shows that have in one weird way or another have motivated me:

--- The Last 10 Pounds (Slice)
--- Bulging Brides (Slice)
--- The Biggest Loser (NBC)
--- Oprah
--- So You Think You Can Dance

4. Pictures: Looking at either old "fat" pictures, or new and "improved" pictures of yourself can, for obvious reasons, be extremely motivating!


I know some of these motivations probably don't make sense to some of you. In fact, they don't necessarily make sense to me! The point is wherever you can find motivation, use it! Use whatever works for you. Weight loss is a long process (depending how far you have to go). It won't happen over night and it truly is about changing your lifestyle which takes a while to develop. Finding new things along the way to bring back that old feeling about excitement is not only motivating, it makes the journey alot more fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment