Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Truth Hurts

One moment in particular, that really stands out for me as far as helping me to face my weight gain, was a comment made to me by my grandmother when I was around 21-years-old. I had two male friends home with me for Spring Break and the three of us were visiting my Grandma. At this time, I must have had some insecurities about my weight or her comment wouldn't have hurt so much. I don't remember the conversation or what we were doing at the time, but my Grandma quite bluntly said, "Well, Kelly, I've always been the big one in the family, and now I guess you will be too."

Now, let's give my Grandma the benefit of the doubt. Please don't get the wrong impression. My Grandma loved me very much and spoiled me my entire life. I am sure her comment was said with good intentions. You know how some people have very odd (albeit often times hurtful) ways at trying to hint that you need to lose weight? And you know how elderly people are sometimes so honest that it hurts? Well, the truth hurts. And it did. I remember feeling so angry at my Grandma that day when I left. How dare she say soemthing like that! And in front of two of my friends, too! Neither one of them could believe she had said it either and I know they felt awkward and didn't know what to say. I don't remember if I cried then, but if someone said that to me now, I definitley would. I do, however, remember coming face-to-face with my weight gain, and experiencing my first inkling that maybe I seriously have to do something about this. I was the "big girl". And I was determined not to be.

Not long after that, my grandma sadly and surprisingly passed away. Of course, I had forgiven her almost overnight for her comment. I still do forgive her. There's nothing I wouldn't do to have her back for one more visist. And if she could see me now! I'd be able to prove to her that I will not be the "big girl" in the family. And I make this promise to myself today: I will never be the "big girl" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment