Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My Running Mojo

As I read over my last post, I realized (not for the first time), that it is all too easy to forget how far I have come as far as my running routine is concerned. If you have been reading this blog (thank you!) you will see posts from a little less than a year ago where I wrote about starting a new running program. Last August I took on the 13 Week Run/Walk program which slowly introduces intervals of running until you are up to running 10km. I had tried the program before and failed at it, but last summer I was ready for a new challenge in my weight loss journey, particularly in the area of fitness. I shocked myself when not only did I finish the program but I really learned to love running!

Looking back, I can remember those first few weeks (only last August!) where I was asking myself how I was possibly going to run for 5 minutes straight? I remember every little achievement was a feeling of total exhilarition and pride in myself. The first time I ran for 50 mintues straight, I was overtaken my emotion because I had proven to myself that I could do more than I ever thought I could do!

Now, when I am hard on myself over a "failed" run, I try to remember those days not very long ago, when I could only run for 3 minutes at a time. I try to grasp onto the determination and motivation I had back then just to complete to the program. And even though that program is done, I remind myself that I have to keep setting goals for myself to continue to challenge my body. I have to keep signing up for races to keep my motivation high and to give myself something to work towards. I have to remind myself of the amazing feat I accomplished by becoming a runner in the first place and the amazing things it has done to my body, my health, and my overall level of fitness. If all THAT isn't motivation enough, I don't know what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment