Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I'm Back!

Once again, it's been far too long since I have posted. Today though, while reading my latest issue of Oxygen magazine, I got inspired to return to my blog.

It has now officially been a year since I reached my goal weight and became a Lifetime Member with Weight Watchers. A few months ago, I began the process of becoming a Weight Watchers leader in the hopes of inspiring and motivating others to attain the same reward that I have achieved. However, after only a few short weeks of working for WW, I soon realized that I don't currently have the time in my schedule to make the committment to Weight Watchers meetings that I should make, therefore I decided to put that goal on the back burner for now. That being said, I am still attending Weight Watchers meetings as a member and using the information and stories from others to stay motivated and on track.

Other good news to report -- I kept up my running all winter! While most of my runs were done inside on the treadmill, I did brave a few short runs out in the bitter, winter cold! The transition from treadmill to roads when the nicer weather came wasn't necessarily easy but I am completely back to running outside again! All of this because....

I AM RUNNING MY FIRST 10K RACE NEXT WEEKEND!!!

I am heading to Ottawa next weekend to run the 10k race with my good friend Jason. This being said, Jason will far out-run me as his goal is to run the race in 45 minutes. Being my first 10k, I have set two small goals: one, to run the entire race with no walking breaks and two, to run the entire 10k in less than 65 minutes!

If I had written this post a few days ago, it'd probably have a much more negative tone to it. This is because over the last several weeks I have lost a lot of my motivation to run (slowly coming back!) I have been clinging onto the last bit of my running mojo by reminding myself that I have a 10k race coming up! That, and there's always the reminder to myself, that running (and all other forms of exercise that I do) have been the key ingredient in meeting and maintaining my weight loss goal.

Fortunately, two days ago, I had had enough of failed runs (in my mind a failed run is where I have way too many walking breaks and can't seem to get into the "zone"). I set out Monday evening telling myself "I am just going to do this! I have to prove to myself that I can run the 10k!" Determination is one key factor that has always gotten me through and it did not fail me on Monday evening. I ran the 10k in 1 hour and 3 mins (admittedly I did take one walking break, but in my defense it was a HUGE hill and I paused my i-pod workout tracker). Now I am not so freaked out about the race anymore because I KNOW I can do it, I proved it to myself! That, and I truly beleive that the adrenaline and excitement of Race Day is really going to help get me through too!


As far as my diet is concerned, I am still basically following the Weight Watchers plan. I don't track my eating all the time anymore, but I do often count points in my head as I am choosing and preparing my meals and snacks throughout the day. I did have a few weeks where I veered off track and began re-introducing some bad eating habits into my diet. But having learned my lesson the hard way before, I quickly nipped that in the bud. I have since gone back to tracking my WW points and writing down all my workouts and everything I eat. It may sound a little obsessive but it really only takes a few minutes a day to write things down and it really helps me to stay on track. it helps to remind me what I have already eaten and helps me to make a good choice about what I am going to put into my body. This being said, I know there are still many areas of my diet that I could improve. As I mentionned at the beginning of this post, I have been reading Oxygen magazine lately (my great friends Brian and Crystal bought me a subscription as a birthday present! I call it the gift that keeps on giving as every month I peer into my mailbox to find my new edition waiting for me!) Anyway, Oxygen is big on clean eating which is something I have been thinking more about latley as possibly my next step in this journey from Flab to Fab! More about clean eating in an upcoming blog.... Stay tuned and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment