Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Long Overdue Update!

Wow, I have been meaning and meaning and meaning to get back here to continue my story but life just seems too past by too quickly sometimes (plus there were of good television shows on!) I couldn't even remember when I last wrote so I just read my most recent post and was absolutely floored to read about my anxiety over running for three minutes!

I am ecstatic to report that I have progessed by miles (no pun intended) since the last time I posted. Some of the highlights include: completing the 13-week Run/Walk program, teaching myself how to run 5km, and of course completing my first, official 5km run! (blog post all about that forthcoming!)

Those, of course, are just the highlights. Along the way, I pushed myself, told myself I couldn't do it, told myself I could do it, walked a bit, sweated a lot and overall, became addicted to running!

I have never found a more simple form of exercise with such great results! Now, when I say easy I don't necessarily mean the running itself is easy. What's easy about it is that I can pretty much go whenever I want, it takes only 30mins-to an hour to complete depending on how long my run is, I don't have to convince myself to get to the gym to even start my workout (i simply walk out the door), and I don't need a lot of equipment.

Now, on the topic of equipment. Albeit, you don't need much to run. Essentially a good pair of shoes is all you need. But as weather changes (and as shopping malls call my name and beckon me to shop) I found I needed to acquire some running "gear". I have never been so excited to spend my hard-earned cash on fitness-related item! However, I have to admit that my long-sleeved Nike dri-fit shirt and Nike running jacket are two of my most prized possessions! (I've officially become a running geek!)

In addtion to that, I am the even prouder owner of the sweetest Nike Free Run shoes that come with an adapter that automatically sends my run information to my brand-spanking-new iPod Nano. These aforementionned items were all lovingly given to me by the BEST boyfriend ever as early gifts for my thirtieth birthday! (and yes, he even thought to get shoes with a PINK Nike swoosh!) Now, a tiny adapter which lies in the sole of my Nike shoe can send my distance, time, pace, etc. to my iPod which can then send all this information to the Nike website where I can track my progress, set goals, and many other fun, and rewarding things! No more guessing at how far I've run -- technology really is great!

Currently, I have been running for about 3 months. I went from barely being able to run for 2 minutes, to now running for up to an hour at a time! My long runs currently average about 7km and short ones 4km. I even registered to do another race -- a 10km in Ottawa in May! (another post to be dedicated to that topic at a later date!)

I can not say how proud of myself I am for accomplishing this level of fitness. In my opinion, runners are some of the most hardcore of all athletes and now I can officially call myself a runner. The results (the appearance of actual abdominal muscles and the ability to eat junk food without gaining any weight -- just to name a few) have definitley instilled in me a LOVE FOR RUNNING. I am hooked. I am addicted. I continue to run! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment